How to Keep Your Carpets Clean
Maintaining clean carpets is no simple task. Attempting to clean your carpets yourself is simply not enough to yield the desired results. Shaw Industries, one of the largest carpet manufacturers in the world, recommends having your floors professionally cleaned at least every 12 to 18 months. This will help extend the life of your carpets and increase longevity and use before needing to replace them.
There's no doubt that hiring a professional will get you the results you need. Most professional cleaners use specialized truck-mounted cleaning machines that utilize a high-pressure pump along with the hot water extraction method, most commonly referred to as "steam cleaning". Using this method allows for greater mobility and will ensure that heavily-soiled areas of your carpet are properly treated. A professional carpet cleaner also has a firm understanding of the different types of fibers used in carpets and can adjust accordingly.
My carpets have been professionally cleaned. Now what?
It is best to stick to a cleaning schedule and have your carpets cleaned at least once a year by a professional who is certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (I.I.C.R.C). Once your carpets have been freshly cleaned, it is always a good idea to maintain them the best you can by following these tips:
- Avoid walking on your clean carpets with shoes, which can track in dirt and grime from outside, eventually causing stains—especially in high-traffic areas of your home.
- If you do happen to spill something, clean it up as quickly as possible with a spot cleaner to avoid allowing the spill to dry and damage the fibers of your carpet.
- Use chair mats to protect your carpet. The plastic coating on certain office chairs can peel and ruin the appearance of your carpet, especially if your carpets are a lighter color.
- Vacuum your carpets about twice a week to help remove any loose dirt from the fibers of your carpet.
- Ensure that appliances such as coffee pots, microwaves or toasters are kept in the kitchen—away from the carpet—so as to avoid stains or crumbs from falling into the fibers of your carpet.
By following these tips and having your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year, you won't be needing to replace them any time soon!